One of the best things about God is that He loves write offs. Rejects. The-down-and-outs. The never-going-to-make-its. God writes in those that the world writes off. That’s powerful!
I recently bookmarked 1 Corinthians 1:26-29 under the heading: “God chose the world’s fools”…
*Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.*
God writes in those the world writes off.
That’s the main thought that popped into my head this afternoon. I was thinking about all the middle school kids at my church — all of their issues — and how the world would write all of them off as if they don’t matter. But I’ve seen first hand that although the world is writing them off, God is writing them in. The stories are powerful! And big! God is going to do great things through all of them. And the world will continue to write them off.
The same is true for you. You may have issues that you think would cause God to write you off, but the reality is those are often the very things God uses to write us in. I love what God told Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
The world will tell you many lies. Replace it with God’s truth.
- The world’s lie is that your weakness means you won’t make a difference. God’s truth is that not only can he use you anyway, but also he can use your weakness to make a big difference.
- The world’s lie is that you’ll never amount to anything. God’s truth is that you already amount to everything.
- The world’s lie is that God has given up on you. God’s truth is that he never will.
- The world’s lie is that God would never choose someone like you. God’s truth is that he has already chosen you.
- The world’s lie is that you don’t matter. God’s truth is that you matter more than anything.
Over and over and over again, God writes in those the world writes off. Never write yourself off. God hasn’t.